Sunday, October 7, 2012

Who is The Sisterlocked Diva??

Hello All,

Welcome!  I am an educator, professor, a Christian, friend, daughter, girlfriend, member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.-Tau Delta Zeta Chapter, avid reader, and thinker.  I am also a new natural hair blogger, beauty and fashion enthusiast!  Let me tell you about my journey to natural hair. So, November 22, 2010 I am sitting in the hair salon getting another relaxer because another 6 weeks have past.  I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the movie "Good Hair" by Chris Rock.  I didn't see the movie, but it made me think "What really is in a relaxer?".  I heard about the clip where the relaxer dissolved a soda can, and needless to say I was concerned about what I was doing to me and my hair.  As I am using Google to research this, my stylist is putting the relaxer on my hair.  Then, it hits me- just one simple phrase.  It said, "The most active ingredient is the same main ingredient in drain cleaner".  What?!?! Oh wow!  I was determined that day was the day I ended my relationship with "creamy crack".  I had no idea what to do next, so thanks to Google again I found websites, Facebook pages, and any other information I could get my hands on about how to move towards natural textured hair!  As I ran into girlfriends, they too were having a similar experience.  They knew they wanted no more of the creamy crack, and were ready for the transition.


I wanted to big chop after transitioning for a few months.  I felt that because my hair was already short in its relaxed state it would be easy to rock short natural hair!  So, I began to transition using braided styles and sew-in weaves.  I figured having my hair braided mostly would allow my relaxer to grow out and lessen the manipulation of my transitioning hair. The original game plan was to have a big chop party with an old high school friend I have recently reconnected with.  Needless to say, the battle with the two textures was a losing battle-- those stringy relaxed strands just hanging on for dear life.   In the early AM hours after taking out African twists on April 14. 2011,  a naturalista was born!  I was so excited and thought my new 'do was Fierce, Fabulous, and Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment