Monday, December 17, 2012

 

For Colored Divas:  My Affair With Color

By:  Lauren Francis-Jackson

 

It's funny to me how I have developed this love of hair color since being natural!  I used to be hesitant with hair color with a relaxer.  I would try highlights, but that's it!  Since being natural, I have loved to experiment with color to change my look.  I have learned new information along the way and would have made different choices with my coloring options.  But that's why it is a natural hair JOURNEY :-)  The biggest thing with coloring is correct application, whether done by you or a professional.  So back in 2011 when I did my big chop, I was rocking a short cut, with jet black hair.  Then, I asked a stylist about coloring.  I went to a shop with my old stylist from my relaxed days and this was the result-- just barely a  shade above my natural color.  And a frustrated $70 later you can imagine my face- quite unhappy.  
Mahogany Blonde, semi-permanent professional color
As I spoke to another cosmetologist who was well-versed in coloring relaxed and natural hair, he suggested bleaching my hair to be able to raise the color then using hair color to correct it if I was dissatisfied with the color.  I chose to take this on myself and came out with a carrot top orange color.  Yikes!  My mom hated it, and I kinda sort of liked it.  Now, I would never advocate someone to bleach your hair for a lighter color-- I would suggest a semi-permanente color if you don't mind the chemicals.  If you prefer more natural color options, you can use:


Henna
Naturtint
Herbatint
EcoColors


Then, I discovered a semi-permanent hair color that I loved!  One of my sorors recommended Clairol's Textures & Tones, a hair color specifically recommended for African-American woman.
I loved the ruby red color for my hair.   After coloring, my hair was this rich burgundy (pictured below left) that I loved.  The color definitely faded more and more with cream based shampoos and conditioners, using honey with hair products (I am a YT-induced mixologist), and frequent washing.  So my hair got much lighter-- dark blondish color (middle picture below) even!  Now, I love how my sisterlocks have auburn-ish color on the tips :-)  I colored my hair the night before my consultation because I knew that I could not color my hair again until my sisterlocks were "settled".  So change up your look with a little color! 

~The Sisterlocked Diva

Do you color your hair?  What do you use to color your hair? How often do you color?



No comments:

Post a Comment