Saturday, December 15, 2012

My Sisterlocks (almost 7 months in :-)

Well, my Sisterlocks journey has been interesting. I first encountered them when I was a prospective member with Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. (now a PROUD member!!). I based my whole journey back to natural knowing that I would do Sisterlocks when ready. My first attempt was in October 2011 after doing the BC six months prior. On the "advice" of my neighbor, I went with a particular consultant. What I got was a set of "locks/twists" that we're not Sisterlocks. Thankfully, I found out early in my journey and removed them using conditioner.

After rocking twists and twist outs for another 6 months, I began my journey again with Natural Clarity, a salon specializing in Sisterlocks and natural hair in Silver Spring, Maryland.

My original consultant was a trainee, and I was her first customer. The owner, Claire Green, assured me she had been trained by her personally. My install was completed over a three day period, and after 36 hours and 21 minutes I was Sisterlocked!!

My journey has been positive and a blessing! I have enjoyed my hair and have seen amazing growth since beginning my journey. I did change consultants in September 2012 because my then consultant could not meet my need to be seen on Saturdays. Charlee is great, and is very knowledgeable about Sisterlocks. My greatest challenge has been dry scalp issues since you cannot oil your scalp as a sisterlock newbie. Anybody who half way knows me, I have hydration issues! I need to remind myself to drink anything, let alone water! One thing that helps me- to bring a water bottle to work and schedule out times to drink water. Below is a collage of pics over the course of my journey so far. Enjoy your natural journey!

~The Sisterlocked Diva

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamara, I saw your comment earlier-- congrats on being sisterlocked! You can wash your hair on your own after you locking session. There is not a waiting period. Your consultant should have shown you how to wash your new sisterlocks. You can loosely braid your hair and bend the tips and secure at the ends. I do have pictures of banding on my instagram page (www.instagram.com/thesisterlockeddiva) and on my YT channel (www.youtube.com/user/TheSisterlockedDiva).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I changed my name to my initials, and I meant to repost the comment, but the old name was still there. I didn't want you to think I was a name changing psycho or something LOL!! I am glad you saw it.

    Does this apply to those with relaxed ends too? Some people were telling me that she just wants the money. She (the consultant) told me that I can't wash my hair on my own for the first three months because of the risk of slippage due to the fact that my ends are relaxed. After my initial install, I had to wait three weeks! My scalp was soooo irritated. And besides, I like washing my own hair.

    She also told me that Sisterlocks don't need moisture , but she gave me a moisture treatment. What's with that??? This is a certified consultant listed on the Sisterlock website by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Sounds like you are getting some unclear information about your sisterlocks! First of all, ALL sisterlock newbies need to braid and band their SLs to prevent slippage!! Your perm ends probably put you at greater risk for unravelling because your hair is working extra hard to bind together to form locks. You SHOULD have washed your hair before the follow up visit 3 weeks after your locking session (whether you washed it or the consultant). I washed my hair from the beginning. My hair is almost 10 months sisterlocked and my consultant washed my hair for the first time two weeks ago! I have done the wash process myself.

    Sisterlocks don't need moisture FROM OILS, CREAMS, ETC.! We CAN moisturize our sisterlocks with water spritzing and that's about it in the beginning! In the beginning, water spritzing is a form of daily moisture. We cannot use oils, creams, conditioner, etc. because those products can cause slippage of sisterlocks as well as build up!

    What did the moisture treatment consist of? That sounds kinda fishy because we typically don't do a lot of moisture on our locks unless it is banded and braided.

    You can also check out my YT channel-- I have a few videos on brading and banding as well as tips for the Sisterlocks newbie! Check my channel at www.youtube.com/user/TheSisterlockedDiva

    Great questions! Hope to hear more from you on your journey with sisterlocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found you!!

    The moisture treatment is the Sisterlocks brand. It is safe because it is water-based.

    I knew she was kind of fishy. I will have a new consultant next month. Thanks for all of your help! I will check out your YT channel, and subscribe.

    Thank you soooo much for helping me :)

    ReplyDelete