Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Spotlight with Anu Prestonia

Sunday Spotlight with Anu Prestonia

By: Lauren Francis-Jackson
 
Sunday Spotlight features business owners, bloggers, natural divas, beauty companies, and more as they share their story with The Sisterlocked Diva family! Recently, I had the pleasure of talking to Anu Prestonia!  She is the owner of Khamit Kinks Natural Hair Salon in Brooklyn, New York and the creator of a natural body/hair products line called Anu Essentials.  Her line has begun to carry natural perfumes as well!  Check out my interview with her below: 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:Tell me about your natural journey.
Anu Prestonia: As a child, I got a relaxer at age 10, which was left in too long.  It caused the sores and pussing on my scalp. I had to get it all cut off at the barber-- I was devastated!  This was a pivotal life moment and probably changed my life forever.  I never received another relaxer after age 10, so I have been natural for the last 45 years.  My sister and I mainly wore our own hair with an occasional press 'n' curl for special events like Easter. 
As I got older, I learned how to braid hair and became quite skilled.  My grandmother was a beautician, and I was blessed with her natural skills with hair too! Back in the 70s, getting your hair done was expensive.  For my whole weekly salary, I could get my hair braided.  I was paying those prices but soon realized I couldn’t keep giving up my week’s salary.  I began doing my own hair, and this one guy asked who did my hair.  When I responded that I did,  he offered me a chance to interview in his salon.  So I started making more money in a day than I was making in a whole week at my part time job.  When it was time to enroll in classes that next semester at Howard University, I dropped out of school and began doing hair full time. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Unfortunately, some people begin their natural journey because of a traumatic experience with relaxers.  Seems like you truly embraced it! That is amazing how meeting the right people changed the course of your career! Did you have your doubts about jumping in the hair industry full time?
Anu Prestonia:  Yes!!  Because at that time, people did not have money to get their hair braided all the time.  So the money was inconsistent.  I have wondered over the years should I get a part time job or train for another career?  I never did—I just put all my energy to building my career in the hair industry.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Well your hard work paid off!  What training have you received in the hair industry?
 
Anu Prestonia:  I mainly taught myself.  I tried to emulate the styles from the West Coast. It is hard to find people to teach you techniques. I went to Senegal in 1984 to learn how to senagalese twists. I have  a cosmetology license from a beauty school in 1985.   
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Wow!  That's exciting to learn how to do senegalese twists in Senegal!  How did the product line, Anu Essentials, come about?
 
Anu Prtestonia:  I started making my own hair oils about 35 years old.  I was using natural oils and scenting them with natural bontanicals.  My medicinal oil was my first one.  It was overpowering with rose.  Golden Blossom became my top seller. It has Sweet Orange oils.  I wanted to be natural product line that was good for moisture.  On TV, you always hear about shine with hair products.  This typically shows on straighter hair textures.  Our hair, the kinkier textures, do not show shine necessarily.  
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Nice!!  Natural hair really needs moisture in order to thrive!  What products do you recommend for locs?
 
Anu Prestonia: Lots of loc'd divas love my product line because it is rich with moisture.  People with locs need to make sure that they are replenishing the moisture.  It is difficult to get smells out of locs, especially smells from not washing the locs frequently.  I like the dry shampoo on the Organix line because it is good for cleansing.  Also witchhazel is good for cleansing scalp.
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I have heard a lot of people talk about apple cider vinagar (ACV)rinses for locs-- what do you think about its cleansing properties?
Anu Prestonia:  It can dry your hair out.  This can be used once every two weeks at the maximum.  In terms of loose naturals, a clarifying shampoo can get the job done.  Because of co-washing, there is a lot of product build up of conditioner on their scalp.  For loose natural hair and locs, one really does need to cleanse with shampoo. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Right, co-washing really is not cleansing hair!  What recommendations do you have for those ladies or men with a loose curl patternwho are beginning traditional locks?
 
Anu Prestonia:  The locking process is going to take longer.  You are training the hair to be in this circular formation.  At the salon, we tease the hair a little bit while palmrolling, and can use yarn/thread wrapping where you are wrapping the individual loc from root to end. It will stay in that formation.  With starter locs, I think you can just washing the scalp with dry shampoo (unless you are going to the salon). 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  What are the Top 3 things you have learned during your hair journey?
It is simple.  Healthy hair is the best hair.  I do protect my hair and hairline always and have for years.   Secondly, everybody’s hair is different as their finger print.  It really it is unique.  When you work with it and touch it, it responds differently.  Lastly, love your own hair! Appreciate what it can and cannot do!
The Sisterlocked Diva: Yes,  healthy hair is always my hair goal!  In terms of traditional locs, I have heard that smaller locs tend to break off with the palm rolled method.  Is there any truth to this?
Anu Prestonia:  Yes your hair can break this way.  Depending how small the client wants them and their hair texture, I would suggest that they consider sisterlocks as an alternative!
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  What are your upcoming projects in 2013?
 
Anu Prestonia:  Right now, my focus is on my natural perfume line!  I am currently getting the word out, and will be getting samples to different natural hair businesses and consumers.  It does not make sense to be using natural hair and body products, and use chemical ridden perfumes.  My perfumes are all natural!

The Sisterlocked Diva:  That's wonderful!!  Natural from head to toe is a great concept.  I thank you for your time!

Anu Prestonia:  Yes, thank you Lauren!  I enjoyed chatting with you!
You can find Anu Essentials on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!  For a fly hair style and you are in or near Brooklyn, NY, visit Khamit Kinks on Atlantic Avenue!  Their website is www.khamitkinks.com!
 
 
 
~The Sisterlocked Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment