Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Spotlight with LaTreya Manning

Sunday Spotlight with Tres Chic Makeup Artistry

By:  Lauren Francis-Jackson
 
 Sunday Spotlight features business owners, bloggers, natural divas, beauty companies, and more as they share their story with The Sisterlocked Diva family!  Recently, I had the opportunity to interview LaTreya Mannings, independent makeup artist, of Tres Chic Makeup Artistry.  Check out my interview with her as we talk spring colors, how to accessorize with makeup as a naturalista, and more! 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Thanks for sitting down to chat with me about makeup!  Let's start with your hair journey!  Tell me about your natural journey.
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  It has been 17 years in the making!  I have worn a multitude of hairstyles including wearing wigs, weaves, braids, etc.  I transitioned with braids, and  I walked into the barber shop and asked them to cut it off.  I have had many natural styles as well such as coils, fro, braids, 2 strand twists etc.    In cosmetology school, I learned about all kinds of hair styles.  I just couldn’t commit to a hair style or hair color!
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Wow you have done it all to your hair!  What inspired you to loc your hair?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I first thought about locs when I saw Lauryn Hill with locs with the release of her CD 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill'.  I got tired of the weaves and braids and when the economy tanked, my budget couldn’t afford it.  I decided to big chop again—and start from the beginning.  I started my own locs, which were started with two strand twists.  I still do my own locs.  For special events, I go to my best friend, Jackie of TGQ Cutz, for retightening and styles.  My whole household is natural! 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I loved Lauryn Hill's locs too!  It's great how you have a natural family!  When did you become interested in makeup (to wear)?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I first was interested in makeup at age 12.  I remember that my sister and I used to do each other's makeup on Friday nights.  My mom would ask "Where are y'all going?"  We weren't going anywhere-- just looking good in the house!  With my first paycheck ever, I brought a lip gloss, wet n wild eyeliner, an issue of Hype Hair, and lipstick.  As I got older as a young adult, I was in the navy, which did not allow me to accessorize as I would like.  You couldn’t do certain colors of nail polish, or certain hairstyles.  In 1995, my friend and I would love to go to the MAC counter.  We would stay and chat with the makeup artists about what are the products and how would you use it. 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: How did you decide to turn your love of makeup into becoming a licensed makeup artist?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  About 4 years ago, I decided that I wanted to become a licensed makeup artist.  I came up with excuses like my kids are young so I'll do it when they get older.   Because I had a passion for makeup, I wanted to enroll in a certification course that would help me learn the basics.  I went to Vonlee in Pikesville, MD it is a 5 week course that met two days a week.  There is a final exam in which you make over live model.  I graduated in April 2012. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Congradulations on your recent graduation!  What types of new skills did you gain from being trained as a makeup artist?
Before & After Lash Application by Treya Manning (Tres Chic Makeup Artistry)
 
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  The number one thing I learned was how to use strip and individual lashes.  My friends call me the "lash lady".  I learned how to highlight and contour and why is this important in makeup application.  I learned how lighter eye shadows in the corner bring the eyes closer together, and lighter eye shadows in the outer edge bring the eyes farther apart. I also learned how to use my brushes properly, how to mix colors to make new colors, and how to pick warm and cool colors.  It’s ok to make mistakes—it is a learning process.  Not every shade is going to work for everybody.  It is about trial and error.  It's funny how people think I would go to work with the makeup done up.  At work I have the work face with tinted moisturizer, flesh tones.  I go for a truly basic face.   
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I love makeup, and most of my spplication skills I picked up from having my face done at the MAC counter!  What are some of your favorite makeup lines and brands?
 
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  My favorite line before becoming a amakeup artist was MAC.  As a makeup artist, I learned that MAC does not have the best makeup and that cheaper makeup can get the job done too!  Some products that I like are: 
 
  • Obsessive and Compulsive Cosmetics- lip tar with peppermint oil which is not going to dry out your lips.
  • Black Opal foundation stick—cheaper $10 at Walmart
  • Nik cosmetics— I order it online, but ULTA carries the lip glosses, pencils, etc. Also I like the extreme lip cream—looks like a lipstick in a lip gloss tube for $5 to 7.  Pigments for $3.
  • BH Cosmetics- Palettes good for makeup junkies and makeup artists just starting out—blushes, concealers, 50+ shadows
  • Urban Decay- eyeshadows, pigments, and the eyeshadow primer
  • Makeup forever-  HD foundation, translucent powder
 One of the big shows for makeup is usually held in New York. I went to this past year, and  it allowed me to try new lines that I have not tried yet. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I am going to try that moisture tip first before lip tars to see if I like them better.  I love my eyes! How can I enhance my eyes using makeup?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  Eyebrows can make or break your eyes!  You have a natural arch to your eyebrow—they need to be shaped nicely.  This is the biggest factor in pretty eyes when applying makeup.  For daytime, you can use flesh color eyeshadow and mascara.  For nighttime, pinks/purples and blacks and greys are my favorite colors.  Work the smoky eye look, and add some fab lashes.  I also like how browns and navy blue can work well for a smoky eye too!
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I love pinks and purples for eyeshadow!  What are some of your favorite eye shadows and lip colors for spring?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I was researching trends for spring—plums and reds  for lip color are still ideal for spring. Bright red, plums, and coral reds are hot on our complexion.  For eyeshadow, greens and blues are great.  Forest greens, bright green, turquoise, and aqua blue are some of my favorites.   I don’t follow all of the trends however I am loving the bright colors, which follows trends of fashion as well!
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Love bright colors for fashion and makeup!  You said earlier that you do work full time.   How do you balance your full time job and makeup artistry?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I work as a property manager for an office building.  When I can find time, I fit it in my life.  I do update my website or post pics on Instagram or Facebook.  I am all about my business from 530pm to end of the day during the week.  On my weekends, I am all about my business. 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  I am the same way!  I fit it in when I can during the workday, but all about the business after work and on the weekend.  Tell me about your new beauty boutique in Laurel.

Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  This came about because many people may feel weary about  letting a stranger in their home.  I don’t blame them with how today's society is.  I wanted to have a place to go and be creative.  I also wanted my customers to feel comfortable about coming to me.  This also works best for me.  I also work as the makeup artist for the Ivie Rose Boutique.  They suggested that I look at Finders’ Keepers as a business space after they opened their store there.  The grand opening will be in March! I am still getting it up and running.  My boutique is located at 389 Main Street, Laurel, MD inside of Finders Keepers. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  That makes sense to open your own space where people can come to you!  What are your specialties and services that you provide?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I specialize in lashes, natural looking makeup, makeup application, facial threading (chin, lip, full face, eyebrow), and lip and lash parties.  I also do lip foils which is like a lip tattoo for lip color!  It lasts 8 hrs, and you can only drink using a straw.  I have been certified in facial threading since March 2012.
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Love how lashes can upgrade your makeup look!  What new projects are you working on for 2013?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I would LOVE to collaborate with you as The Sisterlocked Diva on a few projects! I will have the grand opening of my boutique in March!  In addition I would love to do a Breast Cancer awareness event.  One of my first best friends from San Diego while in the navy died of breast cancer.  The concept is Pretty in Pink Ball to raise funds for Susan Komen.  I would like to incorporate other types of cancer benefits since my father died of colon cancer in 2009.  Lastly, I would like to partner/donate a makeover to a deserving girl for prom. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  We can definitely collaborate in the future!  Many women talk about not feeling feminine enough after the BC. What are 3 easy tips that one could use after the BC to enhance her feminity?
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I would recommend accessories as a natural gal's best friend!!  Invest in big earrings, and a statement necklace.  The big chop is also a fun time to experiment with makeup!  Play up your best features using blushes, and eyeshadow colors.  Lastly, love yourself more! Show off that confidence, and strut your stuff!!  Get to know you!  See what styles work for you!!
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Would you be willing to provide any specials to my followers in the DMV? If so, what could you offer?
 
Tres Chic Makeup Artistry:  I can offer 20% off services $25 or more.   
 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you my Sister for the shout out! I loved this article!

    Jackie from Jackie's Natural Hair Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie for checking out my blog!! Treya talked very highly of you-- sounds like you have an awesome friendship!!
    I would love to interview you about the work you do-- let's connect!

    ReplyDelete