Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Spotlight with Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC

Sunday Spotlight With Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC

By: Lauren Francis-Jackson
 


The Sisterlocked Diva is beginning to feature a variety of business owners and/or bloggers related to natural hair, beauty, fashion, and other related fields.  This feature segment is called the Sunday Spotlight!  The first Sunday Spotlight is featuring Sarah Mukibi, founder and CEO of Sisterhood of Natural Hair, currently specializing in natural hair accessories.  Read below for my interview with Sarah about her natural hair journey and her business. 
 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: Tell me about your natural journey.
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: I have had a good natural hair  journey!  My journey in the beginning was scary because it’s so new!  You don’t know what to expect with your hair!   I have had both positive and negative feedback. Because of my journey, I felt empowered as a natural African-American woman. 
The Sisterlocked Diva: You said that you felt empowered.  How so?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: Hair is just hair!  Hair does not make you as a person.  I have learned more about myself as a woman, and as an African-American woman.  Natural hair made me feel more confident and empowered. 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: Why did you decide to loc your hair?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: When I first went natural I did the big chop.  I didn’t know what to do with it!  So I said,  “Let me get locs!”, thinking it would be easier.   It really isn’t easier than managing naturally curly hair! (laughs)
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: How long do you plan to wear your hair loc’d?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I want to grow it as long as it can grow!  I have heard stories of loc’d hair being heavy and about hair making you feel hot in summer but I just want to let it grow. 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  How did the concept of Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC come to you?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  At first, I was just talking about natural hair.  I never have thought of myself as a blogger, per say.  Just sharing my journey and empowering other women.  There was an eye-opening moment for me in college.  My sociology professor asked me “Why do you wear my hair natural?”  I told him that I like wearing my hair in its natural state.   He said “You won’t be able to get a job with my hair natural.” 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Oh wow!  How did that make you feel?  Discussion of natural hair and professional work environment is a huge debate. 
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: That hurt me so bad!  Yeah, I know that is big.  It helped me wanting to empower women more!  I always had the headbands but just made them for myself.  Honestly, the idea just came to me while I was up late one night, and a great idea was born!  The next day I began planning how to fund my business.    
The Sisterlocked Diva: How long have you been selling your headbands?
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  It has been 5 months!
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: Do you anticipate on adding other natural hair accessories or different hair items?  If so, what will you add?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  Right now, I am working on developing a 100% natural makeup line for African American women.  The makeup line will be made available for purchase in March 2013.  There will be launch party to introduce the makeup line.
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: I love it! I would be interested in doing a product review on your line in the future!
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: Absolutely!  That would be wonderful—I will keep you in the loop
about that and the launch party!  In the future, I would also like to launch a hair care line including
shampoos, conditioners, etc. 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  That sounds great! Those sound like some good ways to expand your business!   How much are your headbands?
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: Thanks, my headbands range from $5 to 8. 
The Sisterlocked Diva: Where can I purchase them?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I can purchase them on here! 
 
The Sisterlocked Diva: Do you make custom/special order headbands?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: I do make custom headbands as they are homemade.  It is possible to have one designed, based on customer’s request. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  What makes your headbands different than what I can purchase at the beauty supply store, Target, etc.?
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC: They are adjustable, so that you can adjust them to fit your head. No more tightness that you can get from stretchy headbands that are store bought!   
The Sisterlocked Diva: Do you have any upcoming events for promotion of the company or vending opportunities?
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I do have an event coming up!  I am vending at Sylk Cosmetics Beauty Event on January 26th in Owings Mills, MD. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  What advice would you give to someone who wants to begin their own natural hair accessories business?
 Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I would let them know that it can be scary, especially if you jump into it full time.  Once you have your plan and your steps, just go for it!  There is no perfect time to start a business.  Just pursue your dreams, and if you can fail—try again!
 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  What natural hair events do you dream to be a part of one day?
 
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I don’t know!  I am going to look into the World Natural Hair Care Show and the DC Love Locs & Natural Hair Expo. 
The Sisterlocked Diva:  Where can you be found on the web?
Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC:  I am on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
 
 
Thank you to Sisterhood of Natural Hair LLC for taking time to chat with me!  Looking forward to the makeup line and natural hair care product line! 
 
~The Sisterlocked Diva
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment